Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Family Resemblance

"God knew what He was doing from the very beginning.  He decided from the onset to shape the lives of those who love Him along the same lines as the life of His Son.  The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored.  We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in Him."  Romans 8:29 The Message. 
I like this verse in the message because it doesn't look like I am starting on some tangent abot predesitnation.  Had enough of that for the seven years I was in ministry. 
I had the opportunity to attend a youth led service in my area the other night.  My daughter, Hannah and her boyfriend led worship. He was also the speaker for the night.  I very seldom listen to a sermon because of my slight case of ADD.  One thing is said that triggers the onslaught of random thoughts.  I think the subject of his message was basically, "Why does the world hate us?".  That started the ball rolling for me. 
I have lots of opinions about the reasons the world hate us as Christians.  Gahndi once said that He considered becoming a Christian but saw how Christians treated each other and decided against it.  I read a reponce to a newspaper story about Sunday alcohol sales that referred to us as "Bible Thumpers" who beleive that everthing, good or bad, is the divine providence of God.  I was a little offended at first.  I later composed my own responce and appoligized for the Christians that had crossed his path that had caused such disdain for us. 
I remember watchin an episode of Bones where Dr. Brennen was interviewing a young man.  She observed that he had a cleft chin but his mother or father did not.  After also seeing a picture of his grandparents, she knew without question that either he was adopted or that one of his "parents" were not his biological parent.  She called it a familial facial feature; meaning that a facial feature such as a cleft chin is inherited.  The boy had figured it out long ago because of research online but had never told his parents that he knew he was adopted.  I could go on about the show because it's one of my favorites.  I love squints.  Enough said. 
There are familial features that we should display as Christians.  When we become believers, we are grafted into the vine.  Not just adopted, but given the DNA of our adoptive parent.  That is impossible for us humans, but possible with God. Day by day, we begin to show more of a likeness to God's natural Son, Jesus.  He bears a likeness to his natural Father, God.  I can only convey this in human terms so please don't lable me a heritic. 
So why do so many people who claim to be believers still not show any resemblance to the Son?  BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GRAFTED INTO THE VINE!!!  Sorry, but that is the plain simple truth.  We cannot have an experience with God and not be changed.  I think it was Paul Washer who used the analogy of having an encounter with a train.  You don't walk away from an encounter with a train without being changed.  God is bigger than a train; we can't have an experience with Him without being changed.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!
The Bible tells us in Romans 8:29 that God decided from the beginning of our Christian walk to shape our lives along the same lines as the life of His Son.  WOW!!!  I can only think of this as being placed in a mold.  Sometimes we form easily into the mold, at other times we have to beaten with a hammer.  Regardless, God is lovingly and relentlessly forming us into the image of His Son. 
So my brothers and sisters in the faith, let's give them a reason to hate us; not because we're hypocrites, but because we're not.  I am reminded of the song "Let's give them something to talk about.  A little myst'ry to figure out".  Not a Christian song but fitting just the same. 
Blessings
Allen

No comments: