Monday, April 27, 2009

DUH!

Matthew 6:25-34 (New International Version)

Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Why do I ever doubt God? I spent this whole past weekend moping around and all anxious and stuff because Hannah's Prom is next weekend and we didn't have the money to order her dress. She had written an essay to try and win a dress from this place call Windsor Store but the results of the contest were supposed to be posted on Friday. All day Friday Hannah kept calling me and texting me to see if there was any news. NOTHING!!!! All day Saturday I checked. Still nothing. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this was not going to happen. I had a serious conversation with God on Saturday. I told Him, "I haven't ask for anything. When I lost my job I didn't ask you to save my house. I didn't ask you to save my car. I haven't ask for anything but that You would bring Yourself glory. I am asking you now for Hannah's Prom dress. This is not just a want. This is Hannah and this is a need. Hannah needs to know what You can do. We all feel forsaken and forgotten at times but Hannah more than any of us. Micah is Micah. Ashley can take care of herself but Hannah doesn't settle. She knows what she wants and only wants that. God, I am asking for Hannah a Prom dress." I left my knees and continued on with my worrying.
I was at Co-op this morning telling someone this same story. I came home after that and still I worried. It seems that all this faith talking is only good when I'm in front of people which is pretty much what I asked God for when we were laid off in the first place. I asked Him to not let us fall apart in front of people. That we would be an example of faith and God's provision. We have spent many anxious hours worrying and fall completely apart at home but for the most part, we have been able to keep a brave face. My responce to anyone who ask us how we are doing is, "We're doing ok". Inside I'm screaming, "I'm not ok. I need a flippin' job!!!" I don't know if actually saying those words aloud would bring God honor of not.
Anyway, to the point of this extremely long story....We came home this afternoon; I got on the computer, checked my email and still no word from Windsor Store. I had decided that I would go ahead and order the dress even though we really couldn't afford to do so. We needed to pay bills and buy groceries and normal survival things but I just couldn't stand to look in Hannah's face another day to give her bad news. I asked Patricia if she would call and ask if we could get a break on the shipping and get a guarantee that we could get it before Saturday. After explaining to the lady at Windsor Store out situation and what we wanted they informed us that Hannah had not been selected for the Cinderella Project. She put her on hold a couple of times and after the whole thing was over the lady told Patricia that they had decided to make Hannah a Cinderella Project winner and provide her with the dress of her choice. We told them the dress that Hannah had picked out. The had one in her size and are mailing it out today to be here Thursday!!! Is that flippin' awesome or what?
Anyway. I don't understand why I spend so much time worrying when God has my back. GOD HAS MY BACK!!!

Blessings
Allen

1 comment:

MM said...

This is just what I needed to hear. Thank you for being so transparent.