Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Examine Yourself Part 2

Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?2 Corinithians 13:5
I guess this would be a continuation of yesterday's post.
I was watching the news this morning about the polygamist sect the authorities recently invaded. It seems that several of the "children" that have been removed from the sect and placed in foster or group homes have been found preganant. Most of these girls are 14-15 years old. One girl is 13 and preganant. I was outraged and ready to go to wherever this place is and beat the snot out of the men who would take advantage of these little girls.
Later this morning we were listening to the radio (Kidd Kraddick) and they were on the subject of the Vanity Fair pictures of Miley Cyrus. Of course they each had a different opinion about the motive of the pictures and whether or not Miley should be punished by Disney or fired for what obviously was a lack of judgement on her and her dad's part.
I was all ready to take up the mantle and come to the rescue of poor little Miley when the same words that have been haunting my mind all week came back. "Examine Yourself".
I asked myself, "What does all this have to do with examining myself?". I began to think, which is usually a dangerous thing. How are the two situations any different?
Why do we get so riled up about thirteen year old girls being given in marriage to old men but we are willing to pass off something as bold as a picture of a 15 year old girl wrapped in a bed sheet suductively looking at the camera. By the way, her dad was in the studio. The story is that Myley was wearing a flesh covered body suit for the shoot but it was photo shopped out for the final proof. The question remains. What is the difference? Miley was not having sex on camera, it was just meant to "look" that way. Either that or it was made to "look" like she was sleeping in the nude in full makeup.
I thought of my own girls. How many times have I pushed them out of the door with the encouragement to "use what the good Lord gave you". I have encouraged flirting to catch or keep their man. At no time in the book of Ruth did Naomi encourage Ruth to show a little ankle or pull your robe down a little in the front. She landed the most eligible bachlor in Bethlehem by being a servant to him. She let him know she was interested but that is as far as it went.
We go to the store with our children and allow them buy clothes that encrouage anything but fasting and praying. They are designed to encourage lust and desire.
A pastor's wife once told me that her daughter had a great body and if she herself had the same body she would dress that way too. God Forbid! I would like to think that holiness has no body type. That the same attire required of one is required of all.
I think it's time we examine ourselves and see if we are in the faith where our children are concerned. When our children leave the house are they dressed to attract? I know, I know, boys will be boys. It doesn't matter if a girl is wearing a nun's habit or a mini skirt. They are going to look and they are going to lust. Get real! I know lots of Godly young men who would tell you the way girls dress is what makes it so hard for them remain to keep their minds set on God. Sending our daughters out to seduce is no different than the polygamist sect or Myley Cyrus. We cannot sit in judgement if we are guilty of the same crime.

Blessings
Allen

No comments: