Monday, April 28, 2008

Examine Yourself

13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.
15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves. 16 You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. 18 A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. 19 So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. 20 Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions.
21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.


This scripture sounds a little intense but maybe intense is what we need. I stumbled upon a sermon by Paul Washer this past week and, after listening to it, I found myself examining my own salvation. I found myself asking questions like, "Has there really been a change in my life?", "Do I sincerely desire to draw closer to God?", "Do I bear the kind of fruit these verses talk about?", "Do I base the security of my salvation on the fact that I prayed the 'sinner's prayer'?". I also asked myself questions on behalf of my children. Do I tell my children that they are Christians solely because I remember that they prayed a prayer or do I base my security on the fact that they are bearing fruit? Do I look back to the day that they were baptized and think that my job was over, that God had completed His work in them?
I find myself gripping the edges of my desk and holding on lest God should rain down judgement on me as a father for not requiring more of my children and myself. I am under such conviction about the life I live as well as the lives I have allowed my children to live. We are by no means morally bankrupt but we are so far away from the ideal. We cry out for God's blessings yet we have failed to totally sell out for Him. People in other countries are dragged behind camels, beaten to death, mamed and raped and torn into peices for their faith. And yet I find myself thinking that I am suffering for Jesus when I have to get up early on Sunday morning or spend a late night practicing. I am such Pharisee!!
I guess what the entire scripture is getting at is this, "Examine Yourself". Who am I when no one is looking. In the darkenss, when there is no danger of anyone seeing me, who am I? Am I the passionate worshipper that I claim to be? Am I really the man who has such a insaciable hunger for God? Who am I when people aren't looking and there is no one to listen?
God has given me a pop quiz and I have been found failing. This is not the end.....it is only the beginning. I must bring my grade up!
Our lives must match up to the truth of God's Word. If we say we are Christians and yet we still make a decision to live in sin then we are liars. (God's words not mine) If we say that God is our Savior and Lord and we plan our calander around watching immoral shows on TV and going to see movies with "not that much" swearing and nudity in them then something is wrong. Do a "Check up from the neck up". There is not such thing as a "carnal" Christian. That is an oxymoron. You can't be friends with God and hold hands with the devil. We are in the end times and people's hearts are empty and hurting and searching. We need to decide if we are going to serve the God's of Egypt or serve the true and living God. How can we show them that God is what they are looking for when He doesn't even satify us?
Examine yourself! Examine yourself! Examine yourself!

Blessings
Allen

No comments: