Monday, May 11, 2009

Unworthy Sacrifices

Malachi 1:6-14 (New Living Translation)
Unworthy Sacrifices

6 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies says to the priests: “A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. If I am your father and master, where are the honor and respect I deserve? You have shown contempt for my name!
“But you ask, ‘How have we ever shown contempt for your name?’
7 “You have shown contempt by offering defiled sacrifices on my altar.
“Then you ask, ‘How have we defiled the sacrifices?
“You defile them by saying the altar of the Lord deserves no respect. 8 When you give blind animals as sacrifices, isn’t that wrong? And isn’t it wrong to offer animals that are crippled and diseased? Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
9 “Go ahead, beg God to be merciful to you! But when you bring that kind of offering, why should he show you any favor at all?” asks the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
10 “How I wish one of you would shut the Temple doors so that these worthless sacrifices could not be offered! I am not pleased with you,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “and I will not accept your offerings. 11 But my name is honored by people of other nations from morning till night. All around the world they offer sweet incense and pure offerings in honor of my name. For my name is great among the nations,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
12 “But you dishonor my name with your actions. By bringing contemptible food, you are saying it’s all right to defile the Lord’s table. 13 You say, ‘It’s too hard to serve the Lord,’ and you turn up your noses at my commands,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “Think of it! Animals that are stolen and crippled and sick are being presented as offerings! Should I accept from you such offerings as these?” asks the Lord.
14 “Cursed is the cheat who promises to give a fine ram from his flock but then sacrifices a defective one to the Lord. For I am a great king,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “and my name is feared among the nations!


So....I'm studying this morning and God decided to hit me right between the eyes with this. It is my natural inclination to apply the verses I read to others that I know. They very rarely seem to apply to me and my life, right? That comes from years of being raised in a legalistic church where the Word of God was used as a weapon to those outside our church. Anyway, I am going through this study to prepare for a Sunday School class that I will begin to teach in a few weeks. I actually had not intended to teach this study but picked it up for my own personal study time. It's based on the book of Malachi. I am on about page 26 and so far I have been broken down, built back up, broken down again. I heard it said once that revival is not the roof blowing off but the floor caving in. I guess I've had some caving in this morning.
It's funny how the words you say to encourage others always bring you to a time of "put up or shut up". How many times have I prayed with those who were going through difficult times. Maybe a marriage that ended, financial difficulties, the loss of a loved one. I've always been able to give the right words. I've always been able to "connect" with God in those times. I am a completely different story. I've lived most of my life with the assumption that God's Word was for everyone else and that I was an exception to the rule. I don't say that because I feel that I am spiritually superior or anything. I say that because I have always felt like the least favored. I tell people that and their mouths drop open. I put off this aire of confidence that some people take as conceit. Deep down I am not that way at all. (Another story for another time)
The book of Malachi has pretty harsh words for us. What? I thought the book was written to Israel? Not so Grasshopper.
Malachi bring condeming words to God's people. It seems that not only were they guilty of bringing "damaged" animals for sacrifice but some of the people would steal sheep for their sacrifices. Sound familiar? We come to church out of obligation...because it's the right thing to do. We rush in and rush out and for another week we have fulfilled our commitment to God. Sure we might get the "warm fuzzies" while we're there but as soon as we're in the car it's business as usual.
Revival is the floor caving in. I have had a floor caving in kind of day. I am sitting in my dining room with my Bible spread out before me looking outside at an absolutely beautiful day. The weiner dogs are barking at some mysterious thing that only they can see. I have food in the freezer and for the time being, the bills are paid. Other than the fact I can't seem to get a video to download from Youtube I can't complain. I have the house to myself and plenty of time for God to apparently whip my behind. At a time in my life when I should be especially sensitive to God I have allowed my heart to become callosed. I have been guilty of coming before God. Bringing Him me in all my glory and lack thereof. What a sacrifice. I am probaly very near legally blind. Every bone in my body hurts. We won't even talk about how overweight I am. I have spent countless hours worrying, being angry and reflecting on my past failures and shortcomings and not enough time trying to figure out where I will most glorify God. God has apprently read the instructions that say "Shake Well before Using".
After Malachi gave God's message to Israel God was silent for over 40o years. How excrusiating that must have been.
I have been praying for revival. I have been praying that the floor would cave in and that people would come to the realization that God requires blemish free sacrifices. This, I dare to say, does apply to me. I can't get around that. This is the message we need. God REQUIRES holiness. Our religion makes Him want to vomit!! I can't even watch what passes for Christian TV. It sickens me. It's all can do to sit through most church services. The message of Malachi is for us today. Stop bringing unacceptable sacrifices to God. Stop coming to church out of obligation. Serve Him out of love and appreciation. Honor Him becuase He's GOD!!!

Blessings
Allen

No comments: