Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shake Well Before Using

I wish I had some great verse of scripture that would relay my feelings today, but I don't. I am looking over this study for a new Sunday School class that I will teaching in a few weeks. It's based in Malachi. As soon as I read the back cover I knew that this was a study that I needed to do even if i didn't teach it to a class.
The last words in the Old Testament are a rebuke from the prophet Malachi. It seems that God had called him to be the mouthpeice to that generation and their version of the church. Religion had become such an abomination that God sent scathing words through Malachi. After Malachi God remained silent for over 400 years. Nothing, not one word until John the Baptist came on the scene.
All during the first few pages of this study I kept thinking about the words on a lot of the products I use, "Shake Well before Using". It seems that is where I find myself....being shaken. It's not the first time that God has decided to shake things up before He uses me.
My less than perfect childhood. My big tift with my family after my dad died. Our expulsion from the church where I served on staff. The loss of our jobs. That's just a few of the times that God has shaken things up to get us ready for some greater purpose.
I went to church today determined that I would step away from the ministry I am currently involved in. I'm just not getting what I need to be getting. I don't agree with the way the team is run and the decisions that are made. Instead a dear friend of mine had decided that this would be the day that he would walk away. I spoke with this dear friend weeks ago when God gave a rare opportunity to spend some time alone. He shared with me how his wife had left our church and that God was really dealing with him about being with her. I love this guy beyond belief and admire him so much that it was very hard me to agree to pray that God would lead him to the place he needed to be. I knew all along that God wanted them to be in church together even if it meant that we would lose that most awesome drummer I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I agreed to pray so I did. Well today, as much as it hurts to admit, God was pleased to answer our prayers.
I don't know what will happen. I know today was hard. I never had a chance to talk to him before he left. I was stuck in a conversation with someone and couldn't pull away. I saw him pack his sticks and walk out wthout me saying once more, "You are my hero".
Shake Well before Using. Why is it that we must be shaken so violently before God can use us? Why is it that revival can't come until the floor caves in and we have no option but to call on the mercies of God?
I am sad. Sad mostly because I'm not handling it better. I know I am being shaken. I hope that the shaking stops soon and that God will choose to use me for whatever purpose He has designed.

Blessings
Allen

No comments: